[Talk-us] What does the community want from a US local chapter?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Sep 30 18:48:20 BST 2011

Peter Dobratz wrote:
> Yes, OSMF US shouldn't mandate a certain tagging scheme,
> but they could certainly help to facilitate a consensus among
> the community.

I'm definitely of the "small government" party for what OSMF (and by
extension local chapters) should do.

But one of the roles of OSMF, as part of its "support and encourage"
mission, is to help cut through blockages that are holding OSM back. I think
you could make a case that OSM in the US is being held back by the
community's failure to agree on a common tagging scheme for roads (about
five years after every other country settled on one, and with no sign of it
being resolved any time soon).

Ideally this should be done by, as you say, "facilitating a consensus", but
if that hasn't worked then it may be time to consider something more
forceful.

But I'm from the Old Country, feel free to ignore me if you have a better
plan. :)

cheers
Richard