[Talk-us] Highway Shield Rendering

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Apr 3 16:57:10 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:
> * Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> [2012-04-03 07:21 -0700]:
>> Also curious how some of the more interesting edge cases work out,
>> such as Missouri Secondary State Highways
>
> Someone seems to have made route relations for a lot of these already,
> with a network of US:MO:Supplemental, so that's what I chose to key off
> of.
>
>> Oregon/Washington/Oklahoma State Tour Routes
>
> Not currently supported.  Can you point me at some information about
> these?

I don't think there's been a real effort to tag these yet, the four in
Oregon I'm aware of are the Lewis & Clark Trail, Oregon Trail,
California (aka Applegate) Trail and the Oregon Outback Route.  Each
of the first three seem to use their own trailblazers and may be
interstate in scope.  The latter and newer routes use extremely large
trailblazers.  http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/Oregon-Outback-Sign.jpg

>> Oklahoma/Kansas Turnpike
>
> There's support for the Kansas Turnpike, but it's not rendered because the
> route relation doesn't have a network on it.  (I don't trust every named
> highway with its own shield to have a globally unique name, so I key off
> the network, which in most cases I expect to be the same as the main state
> network.)  I'll have to add the Chikasaw Turnpike; I don't see any
> information about shields for the other Oklahoma turnpikes on Wikipedia.

Kansas Turnpike (there's only one) uses the KTA shield universally,
often in conjunction with, but usually in absence of, I 35 signage.
Oklahoma (like Kansas) has a toll and non-toll highway network, and
they don't overlap (with the exception of I 44, which is dual signed
with the Turner Turnpike and Rogers Turnpike; guide signs leaving the
Turner Turnpike instruct drivers to "take I 44 to the Rogers Turnpike
to Joplin" more or less treating I 44 as nonexistent on the turnpike
lengths, despite being dual signed!).

All of Oklahoma's turnpikes use identical trailblazers, the only part
that changes is the name on the top half of the roundel (in this case,
"Indian Nations").
http://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=OK20060731

>> or the 7 state highway networks in Texas that aren't "Texas"...
>
> Mostly I've followed the networks already in use: US:TX, US:TX:LOOP,
> US:TX:SPUR, US:TX:FM, US:TX:RM, US:TX:FM:Business, US:TX:NASA, US:TX:PR,
> some others.  A lot of those still don't render because they duplicate the
> subnetwork in the ref tag, so Loop 5 (picking an arbitrary number) might
> be represented as network=US:TX:LOOP, ref=5 Loop.  Once the ref is changed
> to a plain "5", it would be rendered properly.

FM and RM should render identically (obviously since they're actually
the same network), LOOP, SPUR, NASA, Texas I all recognize.  I don't
see TOLL or REC, and no idea what PR is...  Cool on handling such a
complex network well.

> I chose to treat the Old San Antonio Road as a member of the US:TX network
> with a ref of OSR.  I can't remember if it renders that way at the moment.

I would be inclined to do the same (despite the nonstandard reference
before network signs that that route uses).