[Talk-us] tagging cul-de-sacs

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Tue Apr 10 19:48:24 BST 2012

Hello all,

         I recently mapped a subdivision where
the cul-de-sacs really were miniroundabouts
rather than turning circles. Kinda cool and
unique. So there are, very occasionally, times
when miniroundabout is appropriate for the end of a cul-de-sac.

Charlotte

At 07:39 AM 4/10/2012, you wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Martijn van Exel <mvexel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/10/2012 7:46 AM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm experimenting with the Java code from Traveling Salesman
> >>
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Traveling_salesman
> >>
> >> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/158307363
> >>
> >> Is this how people generally map these things?
> >

> > No, I ususally tag the end node
> highway=turning_circle. There are so many of
> > them littered around US suburbia that mapping each and every one of them as
> > a circular way would make for a lot of not
> too useful data, not to mention a
> > lot of work.
>
>So we have 2 people in favor of discarding the circular portion of the
>Way and just using a node with highway=turning_circle.  I actually
>also use this approach on roads such as this:
>
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/157338683
>
>I distinguish between having a solid paved surface and a traffic
>island.  This seems to make sense based on the recommendations for
>dual carriage ways (presence of physical separation causing separate
>Ways).
>
>According to the wiki:
>
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dturning_circle:
>"There is no central island/reservation to a turning circle—it's
>simply a wider bit of road."
>
>Are you saying that you delete these circular portions of ways and
>replace with a node?
>
>Peter

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service,
particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.