[Talk-us] Highway Shield Rendering

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 00:56:43 BST 2012

On 4/11/2012 7:23 PM, Phil! Gold wrote:
> We're putting the shield images in the public domain (well, we're putting
> them under a CC0 waiver, which amounts to the same thing semantically), so
> I don't think the "Kentucky Unbridled" image would be compatible with
> that.

You might have a problem with some other toll roads, depending on
whether the designs pass the threshold of originality (and whether any
signs were posted sans copyright notice before 1989). (You also would
have had a problem with the Trans-Canada Highway if you were doing this
5 years ago, but Crown copyright on the logo expired in 2009 at the
latest.) Normal state route shields should all be public domain per the
MUTCD introduction.