[Talk-us] Excellent progress, u.s.

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 19:48:43 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:

> I've been working in Seattle.  An undecided (and probably long gone) mapper
> touched a large segment of the area.  Looking at CLEANMAP, Seattle looks
> much better after hours of work by many people.  However if every tainted
> point get deleted, the map will look like a mess.  For those that don't know
> Seattle, it is a city of hills.  So roads bend.  Deleting points means
> hundreds of ways straightened.  Ouch.
>
> This is not only difficult but a LOT of work!
>
> What I would suggest is that we get a snapshot of what the world will look
> like after the bot is done.  I wonder if Simon Poole would be interested in
> creating a version of CLEANMAP that would show the result of the bot
> deleting tainted points?

Well that's the thing... there is no actual data about what things
will look like because the code is still being worked on:
https://github.com/zerebubuth/openstreetmap-license-change

The tools we have now are an approximation. Cleanmap/badmap only shows
renderable objects. So you only see the status of ways, not their
individual constituent nodes. OSMI is probably as close an estimate as
we have right now. However just because an object is tainted doesn't
mean it will always disappear. It might just revert to an older
version. So nodes might move or lose tags. So yes, it's kind of messy
:(

Toby