[Talk-us] [Tagging] Smooth shoulder intended for cycling

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 05:18:57 BST 2012

Hmmm. Apparently Thunderbird's 'reply to list' fails when there are
multiple lists. Sending again:

On 4/17/2012 11:47 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:
> I quite like "cycleway=shoulder". It describes exactly what's going
> on: the cycling infrastructure at this point isn't a marked lane
> (cycleway=lane), nor a segregated lane (cycleway=track), it's a sealed
> road shoulder.
>
> Could you elaborate on your objections?

It implies that the shoulder is an official cycleway, when in reality it
may be full of debris (or worse:
http://flbikelaw.org/2012/03/paved-shoulder/ ). Would you use a cycleway
tag on any sidewalk that one can ride on (here that would be any outside
city limits), or just those that have been specially designated as such?