[Talk-us] tiff, dwg and nad83

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:38:14 BST 2012

On 4/18/2012 3:31 PM, Charlotte Wolter wrote:

> Whew! You deleted 43 churches! Well, I know it's frustrating when they
> all are piled on top of each other, but there must be another way.
> I've done smaller towns in the Southwest (NOT Abuquerque) with 10 to 15
> churches on top of each other. I just separate them out, and look them
> up on Google or Bing, and try to move them to their correct locations.
> Sometimes, if they are small or newer churches--you know, the kind that
> meet in a storefront--I can't find the address, but most of the time I
> can. If I can't find the address I leave them in some public place, like
> a park, but they could be deleted, I guess.
If I can't find the correct location I'll add FIXME=not here and change
amenity=* to FIXME:amenity=*. Or I'll just delete it.

> Yes, imported data can create issues like that. The same thing happens
> with schools. Yes, it takes some effort to separate them and move them
> to their correct locations, but I think it's worth it. It's better to
> have the data than not.
> What do other people think?

I think that, given the large number of errors, schools and churches
should not have been imported from GNIS.

It's interesting if you look these up on the GNIS site. What's the
source for them? Well, they got a local phone book and looked up schools
and churches :)