[Talk-us] Parks, etc. Points or outlines

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue Apr 24 19:38:20 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>         In doing the remap in LA, I've run across parks, some schools and
> other map features that are marked with both points and outlines.  For La
> Cienega Park, the park is outlined, coded "park" and named. There also is a
> point for La Cienega Park. My initial impulse was to delete the point,
> because the outline captured so much more information, but I thought I would
> ask first.

Yes, there should be only one feature for each real world object, and
the way/multipolygon has more spatial information, however the nodes
might have other useful information like the GNIS feature ID. The best
process is to copy/merge tags and relation memberships from the node
to the area. If you use JOSM, the utilsplugin2 plugin has a Replace
Geometry command which does all this for you in one step (simply
select the node and the way, then press Ctrl+Shift+G). Read the wiki
[1] for more details. If you use Potlatch2, this is much more time
consuming.

-Josh

[1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/utilsplugin2#Replace_Geometry