[Talk-us] Waterway directionality in drainage canals

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Apr 30 02:03:45 BST 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would start with the direction as flowing from the spring/rainfall source,
> then add the oneway=no as suggested.  This gives a nominal
> source-destination flow, even if it is later modified by conditions (manmade
> or natural)
>
> A clearer example is a tidal basin.  The normal flow will be out to sea, but
> due to tides will also flow in reverse.

Using oneway= for alternating water flow seems like a bad idea to me.
oneway in the highway context refers to permitted direction of travel
and many tools have expectations around oneway.

Alternating / controlled water flow direction seems edge-casey enough,
and removed from permitted highway direction of travel to suggest that
the flow stuff be tagged differently.  If it isn't too far off the
edge of edge cases to consider at all.