[Talk-us] Duplicate state parks in California

AJ Ashton aj.ashton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 23:53:46 BST 2012

I've seen state parks in California that are in the database twice
each with slightly different tags.
Here is an example changeset that added two of everything:

Two relations containing the same way(s): one relation is
'type=boundary, boundary=national_park' and the other is
'type=multipolygon, leisure=park'. Are both of these really necessary?
To me it seems a bit redundant, especially when multiple relations are
involved. (Among other things it causes multiple results for the same
entity in Nominatum.)

This data is the result of an import[1] some years ago, but don't see
any detailed info on the tagging approach that was taken. Does anyone
have more info on this, or on tagging state parks in general?

(There is also the confusion of state/regional parks being tagged as
'national' parks, but I take it that's just how things are done.)

[1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/California/Import

--
AJ Ashton