[Talk-us] New version of US redaction map

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Aug 14 21:56:18 BST 2012

Hi

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:

> On 8/13/2012 11:11 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
>
>> It’s all CC BY-SA right now so you’d be okay now, but I think it’d be a
>> problem in the future under both CC BY-SA and ODbL if you were mix the
>> data in this way.
>>

>   I'd think this is not actually importing any information directly from
> the redacted copyrighted CC BY-SA data: it's just using it to set or clear
> a flag.
>
>   Much as if you were heading out to do a survey, printed Google
> navigation directions, and found that the Google directions are wrong when
> you get there - you'd conclude "Mismatch", but still rely only on survey
> and approved sources to create OSM data.

I would still be using data that is not ODbL licensed together with data
that is ODbL licensed to create the layer. How that layer is being used by
mappers to focus their remapping efforts is not in question here I think -
the data is not directly used to create new OSM data. Anyway, I should
probably ask over at legal-talk.

Martijn

--
martijn van exel