[Talk-us] Another random road reclassification

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Aug 15 15:51:30 BST 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just noticed user SimMoonXP (
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SimMoonXP ) reclassifying a few
> isolated stretches of KS highway 7 in the Kansas City area. I sent a
> message asking why and he indicated that he was reclassifying anything
> with a separated grade intersection as motorway, even if it was only
> for a short stretch. For example:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.117&lon=-94.8924&zoom=14&layers=M
>
> I know there is some disagreement about road classification,
> especially when it comes to trunk but I'm pretty sure most people
> would agree that this is incorrect. Thoughts?

This is definitely a trunk where it's tagged motorway.  The road appears to
be limited access, though features some surface level intersections, making
it ripe for trunk (the other "motorway is really a trunk" instance I
consider pretty clearly as trunk is a "super two" or undivided highway with
no surface junctions, only ramps, such as the Chickasaw Turnpike in
Oklahoma.

> Unfortunately I think this user has been making such changes across
> the US.

Argh...everybody's heard my opinion on very large scale tag torquing
already...