[Talk-us] MassGIS Building Import - simplify

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 01:12:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

I would like to continue the discussion on the simplification of the
MassGIS buildings in a new thread.

In my town, there are 5427 buildings. 43,628 nodes, or 8 nodes per
structure. I did a 0.25 meter simplify on the entire town, and the node
count went down to 41,809. We are looking at an excess of 5%. 0.25 meter
may seem tight, but consider that source data was from 30cm and 15cm per
pixel, and I am sure the algorithms used do some kind of sub pixel
interpolation. Until I can figure out how to do the simplification from my
scripts, we will add instructions on the wiki on how to do a 0.25 meter
simply on the source layer in JOSM first.

Thanks
Jason