[Talk-us] MassGIS Building Import - process

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Dec 16 03:55:19 GMT 2012

Jeff Meyer <jeff at gwhat.org> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
>> 2. If you cannot be bothered to fix problems then why should others be?
>> What is your plan for growing the community to a point where it can
>> maintain the data you plan to dump onto OSM?
>

> What's an acceptable error rate? 0?
>
> What's the error rate for manual entry? I'd suggest that if Jason hits 1
> error in 500 whatevers, that that's lower than manual entry.

Well put.  Before the import, a vast number of buildings that actually
exist were not shown on the map.  To me, that is a greater problem than
a tiny number of non-buildings rendered as buildings.

One can argue about the weight of actual buildings not shown vs
non-buildings shown in computing a total map quality function, but by
all accounts of people who have looked at the data the quality is very
high.  And the "non-buildings shown" are things are typically thing that
are structure-like but not really structures, which is exactly the kind
of thing that I've added by hand as builings when maybe I shouldn't.

The community in Mass is actually growing, and I haven't heard from
anyone local who is opposed to what's happening.  This process is
causing us to know each other better.  So I think random complaining at
Jason for "you are importing so you must be harming the community" is
uncalled for, unsubstantiated, and harmful to building community.  In my
view, community is about whether people want to belong and want to work
with each other, and I see the current situation as a net plus.