[Talk-us] Imports and Large Edit Committee Meeting 12/20

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Dec 18 17:36:25 GMT 2012

Greg,

It's hard to strike a balance between being as inclusive, as
productive, and as budget conscious as possible. For example, the US
Chapter board uses Google Hangouts extensively because we believe that
this service represents a sweet spot in that balance right now. That
said, we are always aware of the concerns people may have with regard
to Google's terms and privacy policy, and we will always keep an open
mind to alternatives.
IRC does not cut it for me personally, the limitations compared to a
video conference stand in the way of productivity.

Martijn

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Kathleen Danielson <kathleen.danielson at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> That's an interesting point. What alternatives would you suggest for
>> virtual meetings?
>>
>> KD
>
> I do not know of alternatives.  In open source groups I participate in,
> it's email and IRC.  At work, we pay for phone bridges (audio only), but
> I realize that has cost implications.
>
> From my view, Faustian bargains should be rejected, and then the best
> choices picked from what remains.  (The existence of a useful service
> with bad privacy properties doesn't change how I look at the rest of the
> options.)  I realize I'm probably an outlier, but I wanted to speak up.
>
> Greg

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
http://openstreetmap.us/