[Talk-us] Kathleen starting with community outreach for OSM-US

Kathleen Danielson kathleen.danielson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 13:54:38 GMT 2012

Hi Martijn,

Thanks for sending that-- I didn't know about that feature of the User
Group template! I'm in the process of making a list of different places
where I can find lists of local user groups. At the moment it's just a
tangle of spreadsheets, but once I clean things up a bit I'll share it back
with the group.

So far, here are a few lists/directories that I'm planning on investigating:

http://www.meetup.com/Openstreetmap/
http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords=openstreetmap&radius=Infinity (not the
same as the one above, evidently)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States

If anyone knows of other places I should be looking, please let me know!

One thing I should probably make clear is that the last thing I want to do
is interfere with any local groups that have a good thing going. If you've
only been communicating by smoke signal and morse code and that's been
working great for your group, who am I to say that's "wrong"? I'm way more
interested in learning how the different groups operate, and sharing best
practices when it's called for. I'm also not looking to create more work
for any of your community leaders who I'm sure are plenty busy already!

Finally, a few of you have reached out to me already, which is great-- feel
free to do that! If you want to touch base or think that I'm taking too
long to email you, go ahead and email me yourself :D

Cheers,
Kathleen