[Talk-us] User adding many Safeway grocery stores, with ref number in name

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Jan 8 14:17:15 GMT 2012

On 1/8/2012 7:49 AM, Josh Doe wrote:
> Seems all recent edits have been just adding Safeway stores:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Brian@Brea
>
> The edits seem good (adding building outlines), though I'm not sure
> about putting the store number in the name, I've always put that in the
> ref tag. What do you think, should we ask the user to change this?

  I could see both sides of this - receipts are likely printed "Welcome
to Safeway #xxx", and so the map would appear correct and contain
additional detail.   The disadvantage is that an exact match search for
"Safeway" would fail, depending on the search algorithm in use.  It's
not clear to me how the ref field would be used in conjunction with
buildings.