[Talk-us] User adding many Safeway grocery stores, with ref number in name

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Jan 8 16:51:48 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> On 1/8/2012 7:49 AM, Josh Doe wrote:
>>
>> Seems all recent edits have been just adding Safeway stores:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Brian@Brea
>>
>> The edits seem good (adding building outlines), though I'm not sure
>> about putting the store number in the name, I've always put that in the
>> ref tag. What do you think, should we ask the user to change this?
>

>  I could see both sides of this - receipts are likely printed "Welcome to
> Safeway #xxx", and so the map would appear correct and contain additional
> detail.   The disadvantage is that an exact match search for "Safeway" would
> fail, depending on the search algorithm in use.  It's not clear to me how
> the ref field would be used in conjunction with buildings.

I see the appeal of the store number in the name if you are a Safeway
insider.  As an average mapper (or map consumer) that data seems
unmaintainable.  I'd have to zip inside each store and find the store
number on a receipt or a plaque on the wall somewhere.  I expect that
fast food chains and other chains have store numbers as well, or
ownership information that is more-correct from a legal point of view.

I like the idea of having that data in OSM but I don't think that it
belongs in the name tag.  ref, perhaps or store:ref or something like
that seems a much better place for it.  Safeway insiders can still
choose to render or search on the combined terms.

Josh, could you suggest that the contributor use additional tags please?