[Talk-us] User adding many Safeway grocery stores, with ref number in name

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 19:00:09 GMT 2012

On 8 January 2012 19:51, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> On 1/8/2012 1:31 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
>>
>> He has done good work mapping several Safeway subsidiaries throughout
>> the US. But yeah I agree the store number should go in the ref tag. We
>> don't really care about internal Safeway naming conventions... we care
>> about how that data fits into OUR data model.
>

>  Our data model is freeform tags.   Anything goes.   The only penalty for
> excessive creativity is the loss of usefulness to data consumers. A quick
> Wiki search didn't turn up anything about refs and buildings. I've tagged
> gas stations as "Lou's Spinx #46" before from the receipt info without
> knowing that it was not useful information.

It is certainly useful but the "ref" tag (like many other tags) is
popular enough that I think it's fair to say it's standard in OSM
tagging.  So let's tag consistently and use this tag for reference
numbers.

BTW It's great that people in companies like Safeway are tasked with
adding their stores, this is so good to see.  They only need to find,
or make, a render that will show their name + ref number on the map.

Cheers