[Talk-us] Apartment buildings as place=hamlet

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Jan 10 15:58:01 GMT 2012

* Mike N <niceman at att.net> [2012-01-10 10:47 -0500]:
> >    That at least keeps tools from seeing the
> > subdivision (or whatever) as a separate town.
>
>   Which tools are these?   I looked into some confusion over a
> Nominatum search recently and found that it now seems to exclude all
> nodes smaller than 'city' from the results hierarchy.

The two that I've had trouble with are Nominatim and Navit.  In the past,
both considered place= values of (at least) city, town, village, and
hamlet to be mutually exclusive.  I gather Nominatim doesn't anymore, but
as far as I know, Navit still does, and is arguably justified in doing so,
since that approach matches the wiki definitions for those values.

--- --
Call me paranoid but finding `/*' inside this comment makes me suspicious
                       -- Apple MPW C Compiler error message