[Talk-us] Apartment buildings as place=hamlet

Mike N niceman at att.net
Tue Jan 10 15:47:27 GMT 2012

On 1/10/2012 10:26 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
>   I just change the node's tags from place=hamlet
> to landuse=residential.

  Not that I'm correct, but I still use place=hamlet for apartments and
subdivisions since it's a group of people residing in the same
organizational entity.   Clearly it is not a governmental entity so it
doesn't meet the OSM Wiki definition, but it is logically a small town.
  I just got started by emulating one of the import conventions which
had used Hamlets.

 >    That at least keeps tools from seeing the
 > subdivision (or whatever) as a separate town.

   Which tools are these?   I looked into some confusion over a
Nominatum search recently and found that it now seems to exclude all
nodes smaller than 'city' from the results hierarchy.   I don't know how
it treats polygons smaller than 'city' however.