[Talk-us] Getting ready for the license change

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jan 13 18:34:00 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:
> [ ... ] it makes more sense to clean up the map after the deletes from
> the license change have taken affect.

I disagree.  It's always better to go mapping than to not go mapping.
That's the core value of OSM; improve the data.

If nothing else, be aware of the license-status of objects while you
map.  Use the deep-diff history tool and the OSMI license status
display while you are doing your everyday mapping.  When you find that
you have an object to improve; consider the license status and clean
it as well.

I'm sure that with motivated mappers cleaning as well as mapping,
we'll leave little to fix at the end with the scripts.  I'm equally
sure that motivated mappers will do a better job of making the best
data from all appropriate sources.  We already know that mappers are
better than scripts.