[Talk-us] Getting ready for the license change

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Jan 13 18:34:46 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/13/2012 10:49 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>>
>>> * Remap data that remains at risk of being removed, following the
>>> guidelines on the wiki (see links below).
>>

>> Assuming that the April 1 delete is a smart delete, is it better to wait
>> until afterward?   I'm thinking of this -
>>
>>  1 TIGER - agreer
>>  2 Bridges, etc - decliner
>>  3 Attribution - Maxspeed, lanes, etc. - agreer
>>
>>  Rather than just deleting the road and starting over from aerial or
>> TIGER, will the April 1 roll back the decliner's edits, thus preserving the
>> agreer's contributions?
>

> I agree that it makes more sense to clean up the map after the deletes from
> the license change have taken affect.  As far as I know, it's still being
> sorted out exactly which portions of the map will be deleted.

As far as I know there is no authoritative source telling us what data
is going to be deleted and how smartly that is going to be done. What
I do know is that the License Working Group has started an 'official'
campaign in the UK for preparing for the license change and they
basically encourage the same steps: contact users, remap. They also
list the same resources (CleanMap, OSM Inspektor) to guide remapping
efforts. I know that Richard W (LWG) has carried this initiative over
to Canada. So as far as authoritativeness goes, this is it.

If we wait, we are going to have a map with gaping holes on April 1. I
think that is a Very Bad Thing. People and organizations are actually
using OpenStreetMap data. Those people and organizations may not be
aware of our internal processes, and will be extremely unpleasantly
surprised when they download a planet after that date that lacks
hundreds of miles of the interstate system. People may even have
auto-replication set up for their local OpenStreetMap stacks,
depending on those updates to generally be improvements. Imagine their
surprise when they're suddenly serving up a significantly inferior map
to their customers.

So no, I don't think we can afford to wait.
--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore