[Talk-us] Problem with an Armchair user

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:46:24 GMT 2012

On 1/17/2012 2:34 PM, Sam Iacullo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am having a problem with the user NE2
> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/NE2/edits). Since the beginning of
> the year, he has been making massive, broad spectrum changes in Texas.
> The edits he's done have been without regard to the appropriate and
> established tagging system, and work that has already been completed.
> After messaging him, I found out that he's in Florida, and has
> absolutely NO local knowledge of the roads he's editing.
>
> I have spent about 25 hours a week working on Texas since I joined OSM
> in November 2010. In some areas, I actually drove several hours to make
> sure that I was getting the correct designation. I feel at a loss as to
> what to do, since I can't even come close to describe what he's doing to
> my beloved state. Is there anything you can do to help?

Whoa. There goes our calm discussion we were having in the OSM messaging
system.

The only thing we're disagreeing on is the classification
(motorway-trunk-primary-etc.) Anyone who's done any amount of editing in
the U.S. will realize that there's no way to look at a road and say "oh,
this must be secondary because X". It's a balancing act. All I was
doing, in conjunction with improving relations and tagging untagged
routes, was applying a first pass on fixing what was a mishmash of
classifications that arbitrarily changed at county lines.

And if I messed with Texas, sorry. I'll go screw with Oklahoma instead :)