[Talk-us] Finding new roads

Bryce2 Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Sun Jan 22 21:06:28 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com>wrote:

> Toby wrote
>
> "Alternatively, we could grow the community and not have to rely on
> TIGER. This also seems hard though :("
>
> Yes that has always been the issue with TIGER imports,
> even the original one.
>
> At some stage we need to decide to be the best there is rather than
> "just as good as the last TIGER"
>
> We probably need two local mappers per million people just to
> keep the roads up to date.

Having a lot more OSM *viewers* would help to get there.

And here is where the rusty old TIGER data still has something to offer
OSM: address data.
A very common map use case is "show me a map around this address".
 Bringing in that data from TIGER might not bring any more *mappers*, but
it could bring a lot of *viewers*.