[Talk-us] Identifying bike lanes (Re: LA and other license changeover challenged areas.)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 00:08:25 GMT 2012

On 1/30/2012 5:46 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> I'd say knowing what they look like + Bing is sufficient if the road
> markings are actually there (not only the lane separator linear
> markings - that's too ambiguous). What I'm not sure of is whether bike
> lane road markings are the same across the US (ie a stylized bicycle +
> rider with an arrow point in the direction of bike traffic flow on
> top).

The arrow is always the same in my experience. Below the arrow is either
a bike stencil or the words BIKE LANE. There may also be a diamond. (I
think I've seen one with only a diamond and arrow; that to me doesn't
say bike lane.)

A few notes:
The lack of any markings in the supposed bike lane does not mean it is
not one. Sometimes there are only signs.
If the arrow is instead two closely-spaced chevrons, it's a "sharrow".
These should appear in the normal lane and not in a separate bike lane,
and are tagged differently (cycleway=sharrow or shared_lane_marking).