[Talk-us] Identifying bike lanes (Re: LA and other license changeover challenged areas.)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jan 31 01:38:58 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/30/2012 5:46 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>
>> I'd say knowing what they look like + Bing is sufficient if the road
>> markings are actually there (not only the lane separator linear
>> markings - that's too ambiguous). What I'm not sure of is whether bike
>> lane road markings are the same across the US (ie a stylized bicycle +
>> rider with an arrow point in the direction of bike traffic flow on
>> top).
>>

> The arrow is always the same in my experience. Below the arrow is either a
> bike stencil or the words BIKE LANE. There may also be a diamond. (I think
> I've seen one with only a diamond and arrow; that to me doesn't say bike
> lane.)

Many in Multnomah County only have diamonds, no arrows, no other markings,
with a ◊ RIGHT LANE BIKE ONLY sign* *every half mile or every block,
whichever comes first, with BIKE ONLY markings and arrows only at the
intersections.  I think they grandfathered themselves in, newer lanes and
other counties replace ◊ with 🚲 (bicycle symbol); prior to the middle of
last decade, bike lanes only had diamonds and occasionally said BIKE ONLY.