[Talk-us] Remapping is good

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 22:31:24 GMT 2012

Nathan wrote

>On 1/31/2012 4:07 PM, Nick Hocking wrote:
>>* Blimey - two streets up from Arvia, Asbury Street was incorrectly
*>>* named in OSM as Ashbury.
*>>* Just how many typos are there in L.A.
*>>* Hey - now there's a good idead for a competition!!!
*
>What you mean is that imports are better than surveying (since mappers
>make typos). The correctness of this is left to the reader

No, What I mean is that any info in OSM should be desk checked
at least once by another mapper.

When I mapped Canberra, I desk checked everything at least
twice against about four independent sources.  Where there were
any discrepencies, I resurveyed the road/s in question to get the
correct data, and yes, some of the typos were mine.

In about a dozen cases I could prove that the street sign was wrong
and the government fixed these in less than two months.

Now, the real question is, is there a programatic way to check OSM
against TIGER2011 and report and naming differences?

Being able to do this would be of enormous benifit to OSM in the USA.