[Talk-us] New Meetup for OSM in NYC

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Jul 5 21:17:15 BST 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> By the way what do you find to be the best weekdays for meetups?
> Weekday or weekend?

Everybody is so busy that no date is perfect. :-(  I try not to get
hung up on that; any date I select will be exactly the wrong date for
somebody.  So I go with what is convenient for me.  :-)  Same with the
venue.  Few venues will be absolutely perfect, fewer still will be
perfect for everybody.  So I pick a location that is convenient for me
and that shouldn't be horrible for most.  It takes some time and
motivation to organize these events, at least you get to hold them at
a time and place that suits you.

I like weekends for mapping events and week nights for social /
instructional events.  I'm envious of the combination mapping / social
events held in London for example.

I'm not bound to those guidelines though.  We've had weekend social
events in Toronto, like the OSM anniversary celebrations and I'd
gladly call for an "emergency meeting" for visiting OSM dignitaries.
It's good to roll out the local OSM red carpet for visiting mappers.
:-)