[Talk-us] TIGER fixup and mapping "more"

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Jul 12 16:35:42 BST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Robert Kaiser <kairo at kairo.at> wrote:
> Richard Weait schrieb:
>
>> Larger cleanups can be imposing at first glance.  Other mappers will
>> understand that a single mapper can't do everything at once, so you
>> shouldn't be criticized if you fix a few things but not others.
>

> After having spent another vacation in the US (in Northern California this
> time), I started wondering if there should be a mass edit to switch all the
> highway=residential (or other highway values set en masse and mostly wrong)
> that are from TIGER imports and still on v1 objects to highway=road instead.
> The reason for this is that we have a ton of dirt/gravel roads through the
> woods that are mapped as "residential" and therefore are highly misleading
> for both routing services as well as people looking at a map and trying to
> figure out which way to go "manually".
> Note that this is just an idea, and I wouldn't be the one actually doing
> this as I have no ideas about how to do mass edits in a good way. I just
> wanted to bring this up with the US community.
> AFAIK, the highway=road tag for "unspecified road, needing someone to review
> and switch to correct classification" did not exist back when those imports
> were made initially and would be the right choice for such imports nowadays.
>
> Robert Kaiser

I agree that residential is not the right classification, but
'unclassified' would be better than 'road', at least for halfway
built-up areas.
But I could live with turning highway=residential into highway=road
for all TIGER A4* roads that are still at v1.

Martijn

--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com