[Talk-us] TIGER fixup and mapping "more"

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Fri Jul 13 00:11:48 BST 2012

Martijn van Exel schrieb:
> I agree that residential is not the right classification, but
> 'unclassified' would be better than 'road', at least for halfway
> built-up areas.

Well, "highway=road" means "road without classification" while
"highway=unclassified" is an actual classification (yes, confusing) and
actually means "minor roads in the public road network which are not
residential and of a lower classification than tertiary".

That's why I proposed highway=road as it basically means "unknown
classification". A lot of those I have encountered are better tagged as
tracks than either residential or unclassified, but that needs review of
people actually looking at some local info.

Robert Kaiser