[Talk-us] TIGER fixup and mapping "more"

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Jul 12 16:43:17 BST 2012

Robert Kaiser wrote:
> After having spent another vacation in the US (in Northern
> California this time), I started wondering if there should be
> a mass edit to switch all the highway=residential (or other
> highway values set en masse and mostly wrong) that are from
> TIGER imports and still on v1 objects to highway=road instead.

Funny you should say that. I was doing some backwoods editing recently and
wondering about the same problem.

I was wondering if something like http://frontdoor.cloudapp.net/ might be a
fun solution. Present some aerial imagery, the OSM data, and say "is this a
track or a road?". Kind of like HotOrNot for the OSM generation. (For extra
efficiency, have a button for "it's a track and in fact _everything_ on this
view is a track"... and a link to open it in P2 (or whatever) for the really
curious.)

This sort of game-like edit, basically harnessing people's boredom, could be
a nice way to get the casual user into OSM.

cheers
Richard