[Talk-us] Reminder: OSM US Tile Server

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 19:13:38 BST 2012

Ian,

something is wrong with the USGS scanned topo map layer.  At low zoom the alignment is perfect and when zooming in it suddenly jumps approx 50-100m east. I can see this in San Francisco and from there south to Mountain View.  It looks like an L-shaped area with SF at the north end. North and East of SF is good. then extends further south-east to at least to Mountain View but no more than Sunnyvale.
I have started to trace the areas but not yet finished. One place in SF reminded me of the same problems on the terra server. Is this data a mirror of the terra server? I know a couple other places to check but it will take some time to verify.
For California and I think also for the rest of US there are far better sources of scanned topo maps. Any chance to fix these? I can offer some help to get the scanned maps and eventually with tiling too if there is some documentation available.

--
Apollinaris