[Talk-us] Post bot cleanup

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Jul 19 21:54:00 BST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:
> * Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> [2012-07-19 14:22 -0600]:
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Any other common problems that people have seen?
>>
>> Another thing I find is a lot of leftover stray nodes without any tags.
>> I select them in JOSM with type:node tags:0 -child and delete them in
>> one fell swoop.
>
> Eeek!  Be very careful with this!  The unconnected, untagged nodes were
> left deliberately to facilitate recreation of roads, particularly the case
> where a decliner split a TIGER way but did not change its geometry.  I've
> been making use of these nodes in South Carolina to reconstruct the roads
> there.

A fair word of caution! One should always be careful when deleting
stuff you have not manually selected. I almost never do this.
However, I don't see how leaving these nodes facilitates remapping. If
you are going to recreate a lost road that is based off of TIGER data,
you would likely want to improve the geometry anyway.
That said, searching for empty nodes gives you an idea of where ways
have been deleted by the redaction.

--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com