[Talk-us] LA part of the map essentially is unusable

Fri Jul 20 00:06:47 BST 2012

On 19/07/2012 23:58, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
> Richard,
>> I spent a couple of hours this morning reworking the P2 source code
>> so that it can load the entire TIGER 2011 road files for LA County
>> in one go without crashing.
> That's great, but will it overwrite work that we've already done?
> Also, is this something that works only in JOSM, in which case many of
> us couldn't use it?

P2 = Potlatch 2. I'm the maintainer of the Potlatch code. I don't use
JOSM unless someone threatens me with a cheese-grater. As I understand
it, it's something that only works in Potlatch 2. :)

P2's background layers feature allows you to have TIGER data showing up
as a background layer, and to alt-click it to bring it through to the
main map. There is nothing automatic about it: you choose what you want
to bring through. It's a fast, efficient way of working with third-party
data sources without the disadvantages of automated imports.

As soon as the new version is available on openstreetmap.org I'll post
further about how to use it (subject to being away from the computer
this weekend).

> Also, I still don't understand why all the TIGER data was deleted on
>  ways that were partially deleted. I just found a piece of a motorway
>  link to I-5 where the "bridge" part was deleted, but the road still
> was visible in Potlatch. All the other TIGER data also was gone
> (luckily, I knew what it was). Why was that done?

The redaction bot reverses changes made by decliners, _but_ it does not
automatically undelete data that was deleted by decliners. Believe me,
if it did the latter, the mess made of the map would be something to
behold; there'd be random bits of road doubling up on existing highways
here, there and everywhere. Neither option is easy but I'm certain that
this one is the better.

cheers
Richard