[Talk-us] LA part of the map essentially is unusable

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Fri Jul 20 02:40:45 BST 2012

         Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
         So, how do I "load shapefiles into a separate layer"? I need
someone to walk me through it. How would I do that, if I wanted to
get things like street names (and the other TIGER data)?

--C

At 04:11 PM 7/19/2012, you wrote:
>* Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com> [2012-07-19 15:58 -0700]:
> >         That's great, but will it overwrite work that we've already
> >         done?
>
>Presumably not.  Potlatch loads shapefiles into a separate layer and
>requires mappers to manually pull the data into OSM.
>
> >         Also, is this something that works only in JOSM, in which
> > case many of us couldn't use it?
>
>No.  For one thing, Richard is the main developer of Potlatch and doesn't
>do anything with JOSM.  For another thing, he mentioned "reworking the P2
>source code"; "P2" refers to Potlatch 2.
>
> >         Also, I still don't understand why all the TIGER data was
> > deleted on ways that were partially deleted.
>
>Because of OpenStreetMap's data model.  When you split a way, what your
>editor does is upload a changed version of the original that only
>contains half the original nodes and then upload a new way with the same
>tags as the old one that contains the other half of the nodes.  To
>subsequent database queries, the second way appears as though you created
>it and there's no direct link back to the way that originally contained
>the nodes.
>
>On top of that, there was a deliberate decision made (as I understand
>things) not to undo deletions, which includes the removal of nodes from a
>way.  Had the bot done that, there would be many places where the bot
>would create multiple, overlapping, tangled ways.
>
>Since either approach would have left significant messes for mappers to
>clean up, there wasn't really a good way forward.  The people working on
>the redaction bot felt that not undeleting would be the better of two bad
>options.
>
>--
>...computer contrarian of the first order... / http://aperiodic.net/phil/
>PGP: 026A27F2  print: D200 5BDB FC4B B24A 9248  9F7A 4322 2D22 026A 27F2
>--- --
>i am not interested in a penis for aesthetic purposes.
>                        -- isabelle whitman
>---- --- --

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.