[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: Post bot cleanup

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:20:29 BST 2012

Paul Norman wrote

>> From: Toby Murray [mailto:toby.murray@]
>> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Fwd: Re: Post bot cleanup
>>

>> > I'm also wondering if a routing regression suite exists anywhere that
>> > could be used to help identify broken interstates and other major
>> > ways, as the tagging changes and 2 node bridges that were likely
>> > deleted will take time to identify.
>>
>> There was something like this back when the TIGER import was new to help
>> people connect major highways across county lines. Does anyone know the
>> technical details or if it would be practical to bring back?
>> It is documented here:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup/250_cities/routing_grid
>
> I think it's practical, I've given some thought to doing this. Maybe query
> one of the routing services to build it.

OK, I have had a first stab at it.

http://apmon.dev.openstreetmap.org/us_routing_grid.html

It is only 25 cities so far, but if it turns out to be useful it can easily
be extended to more cities.

The big problem though is automatically figuring out if routes are broken or
not and then colour them red or green accordingly. At the moment it doesn't
do this at all.

Anyone have some good ideas for this?

The routing information is obtained from "Open Source Routing Machine",
which is amazingly fast at calculating all of these long distance routes.
OSRM updates its data daily, so I think the routing data is based on OSM
data from yesterday. I.e. post redaction. If there is interest I could
regenerate this routing grid daily too.

Kai