[Talk-us] Starting OSM Trail Map Initiative In US

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:34:10 BST 2012

Fred,

I think it is a great idea to focus on trails.  In my opinion, this
would be a great use of OSM.

In my area OSM already has data that in many cases is better than
publicly available data.  Best way to get this data is to turn on the
GPS and go for a hike or bike ride.

One area we could work on is improving tagging.  In many cases the
only tag is "highway=path"

Has anyone tried to work with local hiking/mountain clubs on mapping trails?

Mike