[Talk-us] Starting OSM Trail Map Initiative In US

Fred Gifford fred.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 21:17:33 BST 2012

Hi all,

I am starting the process of pulling together a group to focus on updating
and expanding trail data in OSM. The initial focus would be in the US
but we are hoping the model could expand to other areas as well.

Initially the project would have two main focus areas –
- Focused effort to gather public domain trail data and use it to
update existing trail data in OSM through hybrid editing \ bulk upload
methodology.
- Build a custom version of Potlatch focused on trail mapping
- Building trail mapping communities in the US.

Here is where things get a little different than other similar efforts
–  I want much of the work to be done by paid interns and I want to
fund it initially through Kickstarter and later though donations.

I’d be interested to hear anyones thoughts, concerns, etc, and of
course would love to know if anyone is interested in participating.

Thanks.

Fred