[Talk-us] Starting OSM Trail Map Initiative In US

Apollinaris Schöll aschoell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 00:00:46 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Fred Gifford <fred.gifford at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Initially the project would have two main focus areas –
> - Focused effort to gather public domain trail data and use it to
> update existing trail data in OSM through hybrid editing \ bulk upload
> methodology.

please no bulk upload. public data isn't always up to date and really needs
a review. if a trail is missing it's not a big deal when you have an
additional option. But if you plan a long hike and a trail is no passable
anymore it can be really dangerous.  And special tags have to be verified
on the ground. There is no way to do that as an armchair mapper.
essentially quality is more important than quantity.

Here is where things get a little different than other similar efforts
> –  I want much of the work to be done by paid interns and I want to
> fund it initially through Kickstarter and later though donations.

I recommend to search in the archives of talk at openstreetmap.org about
opinions and experience with paid mapping. It's not very positive.

> I’d be interested to hear anyones thoughts, concerns, etc, and of
> course would love to know if anyone is interested in participating.

I think it's important to get more people interested. especially from other
outdoor related groups like Sierra club and other mountaineering clubs,
geocacher. mountain biker ...
 These people understand the requirements. A paid intern with no hiking
experience is of little use.