[Talk-us] LA part of the map essentially is unusable

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Jul 22 00:43:24 BST 2012

On 7/21/2012 5:51 PM, Evin Fairchild wrote:
> Would it work to do an import of TIGER 2011 data for most of the affected
> area?  The TIGER 2011 data is much improved over the data from the original
> TIGER import that took place several years ago, and it would be a great way
> to get both the roads and the road names back on OSM.  It would be much less
> tedious than having to re-draw and retrace everything, but we would have to
> make sure that the roads would be connected to other roads at intersections,
> and that we wouldn't be uploading any roads that are already there.  What
> does everyone think of my idea?

   For "City block areas" and subdivisions, this is certainly one of the
easiest ways: remove, then bring those areas in from TIGER 2011 and
connect the intersections.

   This is not advisable for more major roads, which may already have
relations, speed limits, lane count and other attributes already added.