[Talk-us] National Map Corps Revived - And Using the OSM Stack

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Jul 23 00:56:27 BST 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Brad Neuhauser
<brad.neuhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
> I watched it after Ian sent the link.  According to the video, it uses
> Potlatch 2 to gather a very limited set of POIs in the initial pilot area of
> Colorado.  I was kind of curious if there was going to be any interaction
> with OSM other than using the tool stack.

Any interaction in terms of data exchange would necessarily have to be
a one-way street; USGS data is PD and our data is ODbL (almost). So
data can travel to us but not back to the USGS.
That said, USGS has reached out to us to make that one-way data flow
possible. Whatever the NMC does to improve GNIS points (I believe that
is what the pilot is) could flow towards OSM, if and only if the
corresponding OSM data has not been modified from its original import.
If it has, you could still manually merge or hot-or-not the individual
data points.

Martijn

--
martijn van exel