[Talk-us] National Map Corps Revived - And Using the OSM Stack

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Mon Jul 23 01:12:05 BST 2012

Ian,

         I read through their Web site.
         They used Potlatch 1 for two pilot projects in
"crowdsourcing" (yes, they used the word) topographic data.
Apparently they were pleased enough with the results to plan to move
ahead, at some point, with crowdsourced topographic mapping. I hope
they have taken a look at Potlatch 2.
         They also mentioned OSM several times on a couple of Web
pages, which was nice publicity.

Charlotte

At 02:50 PM 7/22/2012, you wrote:
>Yep. They announced it prematurely. They'll have more information
>about it in the near future.
>
>On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Adam Schreiber
><<mailto:adam.schreiber+osm at gmail.com>adam.schreiber+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>Ian,
>
>The link appears to be dead.  Was the video taken down?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Adam
>
>On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Ian Dees
><<mailto:ian.dees at gmail.com>ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I saw a tweet from @USGS today mentioning that the National Map Corps are
> > starting up again. If you don't know what the National Map Corps is, think
> > of it like "OpenStreetMap for the US Government". Volunteer mappers
> > correcting and adding to the topo maps all over the country. I'm sure there
> > are others with much more information, but it was a pretty epic project and
> > is the source for lots of the free and public domain data we use to this
> > day.
> >
> > For the last year or two (or three?) Eric Wolf's been working to adapt the
> > OpenStreetMap stack to the USGS's needs, and it looks like it that work has
> > finally been released. Check out this video for more information:
> >
> <http://gallery.usgs.gov/videos/552>http://gallery.usgs.gov/videos/552.
> Skip to 4:10 or so to see it in action.
> >
> > Hopefully Eric and others will respond here and tell us more about it!
> >
> > -Ian

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.