[Talk-us] Good work with remapping!

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 07:53:05 BST 2012

I've been watching edits come in today and I see good work being done
on interstates, especially in the LA area. It isn't the most fun work
to do so thanks to everyone who is pitching in. I ended up finishing
the cleanup on I-105. It's just a short one so that's not really a
huge feat.

To make dealing with relations easier, I tended to extend existing
ways and then split them so that the editor took care of all the
relation memberships for me. So for example, extending a bridge to
meet up with the the next segment and then splitting the way and
removing the bridge and layer tags from the new piece I had just
drawn.

I also ended up doing some reimporting from TIGER 2011 in the Irvine
area because some neighborhoods that were just too far gone to bother
salvaging. For example here is a "before" shot of one area:
http://i.imgur.com/pEuIm.jpg (and actually, a couple of those roads
are already fixed. I happened to have a P2 instance open after I had
uploaded the new stuff from JOSM and P2 picked up some of the new
roads before I grabbed the screen shot)

Here is the current view:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33.60425&lon=-117.81902&zoom=15

I decided to follow my previous TIGER remapping strategy[1] and it
worked out fairly well. Some of the neighborhoods were gated
communities so they only had 2 or 3 roads connecting out to the rest
of the network. This made it very easy to remove the existing garbage
and import one section at a time. It's a lot more complicated to do a
reimport in an area with a regular grid pattern of roads because there
are so many more external connections to make.

If you come across such horribly misshapen areas and feel that it is a
good candidate for a reimport, feel free to send me a message and I
see what I can do, time permitting.

[1] http://ksmapper.blogspot.com/2012/03/remapping-using-tiger-2011.html

Keep up the good work!
Toby