[Talk-us] Bike infrastructure

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Jul 23 16:12:14 BST 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to complete local bicycle infrastructure here in and around
Salt Lake City. I obtained GIS data (a shapefile) containing local
bike infrastructure[1], and a lot of it is already in there. I do have
a few questions:
* Some streets are marked 'quiet streets'. This does not imply any
special rights for cyclists as far as I know, but would be a preferred
route (over busier, less safe streets). How to tag that?
* There are different types of 'shared lanes'. ('green shared lane',
'shared lane marking', etc.). How to tag these?
* The 'signed shared roadway' that I think I asked about before still
puzzles me. It is just a sign saying 'bikes share the road' as far as
I know, but does not imply any special rights for cyclists. How does
this map onto OSM tagging, if at all?

If anyone wants to help out by the way, here's a JOSM WMS URL you can
use: wms:http://lima.schaaltreinen.nl:8080/geoserver/schaaltreinen/wms?SERVICE=WMS&FORMAT=image/png&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=schaaltreinen:SLCBikeRoutes&STYLES=&TRANSPARENT=true&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}
By the way, is there any way to have geoserver serve up TMS style URLs?

[1] This map is based off of the same data:
http://www.bikeslc.com/WheretoRide/PDF/SLC2011BikeMapWebsite.pdf

--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com