[Talk-us] NHD import: what data quality is acceptable?

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Mon Jul 23 17:54:50 BST 2012

On 7/23/2012 10:49 AM, Paul Norman wrote:
> I hope to get back to my code in the next week. With the redaction it
> hasn't been a high priority. Also, no one has proposed a NHD import
> lately.
Paul,

Could you provide some NHD files in OSM format for a few parts of FL?
I'm willing to do some manual importing / cleanup / merging with
existing quality linework using JOSM. For me, just getting past the
conversion to OSM format is the biggest barrier to working with NHD
data. I'm currently interested in doing some hydro work for SW FL in the
Punta Gorda area as well as filling out some hydro in SE FL, i.e. Palm
Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade. In the past, I've manually imported some
hydro polygons from the landcover SHPs provided by the water management
districts in FL. Mainly used it to fill in lakes, but also updated some
PGS coastlines with it. Also looking to see if the NHD data is a better
source for hydro areas in FL vs. the landcover data.

Thanks,

Brian