[Talk-us] NHD import: what data quality is acceptable?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Jul 24 02:49:46 BST 2012

> From: Kevin Kenny [mailto:kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com]
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] NHD import: what data quality is acceptable?
>
> On 07/23/2012 10:49 AM, Paul Norman wrote:
> > This unfortunately falls short. I find that you need to check the
> > FCode across at least 3 different parts of the country to be sure.
> > I've found there are regional variations in how FCodes are used.
>
> But I'm not *doing* 3 different parts of the country. I'm doing *my*
> part of the country. I'm not touching areas where I have no knowledge of
> the local geography.

Yes - but I'm trying to work on something that will work across the country.
Of course if you're working locally, only what they do locally matters and
the data set is more homogenous.

I'm hoping the end result of what I do will be something similar to CanVec
for a data source, but having learned from its mistakes.