[Talk-us] Bike infrastructure

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jul 23 19:51:46 BST 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to complete local bicycle infrastructure here in and around
> Salt Lake City. I obtained GIS data (a shapefile) containing local
> bike infrastructure[1], and a lot of it is already in there. I do have
> a few questions:
> * Some streets are marked 'quiet streets'. This does not imply any
> special rights for cyclists as far as I know, but would be a preferred
> route (over busier, less safe streets). How to tag that?

Depending on if it's especially low speed and shared space or not, I'd try:

highway=living_street

or

highway=residential
bicycle=designated

* There are different types of 'shared lanes'. ('green shared lane',
> 'shared lane marking', etc.). How to tag these?

bicycle=designated

> * The 'signed shared roadway' that I think I asked about before still
> puzzles me. It is just a sign saying 'bikes share the road' as far as
> I know, but does not imply any special rights for cyclists. How does
> this map onto OSM tagging, if at all?

bicycle=designated

And I'd add these as members to an appropriate LCN relation as applicable
in any case.