[Talk-us] Discardable TIGER tags

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Jul 28 21:30:46 BST 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>> I'm all for upload_uuid being removed automatically.  As for
>> tiger:separated, is it possible to remove the tag only if it's set to
>> "no"?  The 1.4% that are set to something else should probably be
>> reviewed manually.
>
> Might be possible but not the way I was hoping to implement it to
> match existing code.

I'd say keep it, then.

> Has anyone ever used a tiger:separated tag to
> guide them to something that needs review?

Yes.

> I have found a few "yes"
> values that were incorrect. The rest were pretty obviously dual
> carriageway on aerial imagery and the tag didn't really help me... And
> once it is mapped as dual carriageway in OSM the tag is misleading.
> That way no longer needs to be marked as separated since it now has
> two parallel ways representing it.

I agree with removing ones that are marked incorrectly.  I think it's
harmful to remove ones that are marked correctly, though.  And I don't
see any way to automatically distinguish between the two.

Anyway, that's my opinion.  I think it's useful information.  And the
fact that it is sometimes incorrect is, in my opinion, a reason to
keep it.  I support removing tiger:uuid precisely because there is no
definition of what the correct value should be.