[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: Post bot cleanup

Sun Jul 29 17:48:35 BST 2012

Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> I rather think the non-responders could have been a separate category,
> and their data could have been kept.

Doesn't fly legally, sadly. You can't say "I'm ignoring any rights on
this item just because the rights-holder hasn't responded to my e-mails".

That said, I did once live near a tiny village (population 41) that
claimed to be "Twinned with Paris" on the basis that they'd written to
Paris asking for a twinning, and received no reply. I guess that's a
similar idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitwell,_Rutland

> The license bot damage will take decades to recover from.

Not at all. OSM has only existed since 2004, and the redaction affected
<1% of the database globally. At a very conservative estimate it's 29
days' work (8*365*0.01); in reality, we _already_ have more nodes in the
database than we did before the redaction started. Such is the rate at
which the map is growing.

cheers
Richard